High School Career Courses and Enrollment Adult Career Course and Part Time Classes Business Solutions - Business Services and Corporate Training
Information for High School students about attending Great Plains Technology Center Information for Adults attending Great Plains Technology Center Business Training and Development Solutions

Taking pride

May is finally here, and for me that means a lot of changes.  In my last blog I talked about what I had to look forward to in the job field and topics along those lines.  This week I want to discuss what a typical day at clinicals and the hospital setting for my job training is like.  I also would like to share with you some of the joys and sorrows of working in this setting, as well as some of the physical and mental demands put on me and fellow students.

One of the best things about May is I graduate from this two-year program on the 26th of this month.  I also will take my national certification test in the days following graduation.  At this point when I go into my classroom I have learned everything and already taken my finals almost a month ago.  The past couple of weeks we have been very busy with conferences and registry preparation in class.  I officially have all of my clinical competencies required to graduate this program.  Now I just have to remember all the information to pass three mock registry exams, by Great Plains Technology Center’s Radiologic Technologist’s standards, in order to be eligible to sit for the registry. Today I will be taking my first one, so most of my time is spent reviewing learned material.

When I think about a typical day in clinicals at the hospital, I think about how well prepared I am for each exam.  What they cannot prepare you for are the patients.  With each exam, I will have a different patient.  As we all know, no one person is the same, and there is no way of knowing how they will or will not cooperate for the examination.  That is something that has to be learned, a new way of thinking outside the box, in order to get a certain picture that the patient is able to accomplish.  If a bone is broken, the patient may be in too much pain to take the x-ray the way we are taught.   That is when critical thinking comes into play.  Typically inpatient exams are scheduled each day and outpatient exams are walk-in, unless they will take a large amount of time.  So each x-ray is done when the patient arrives in outpatient, this could be one patient every 5 minutes or 20 at a time, you never know.  Inpatients at a hospital are usually finished as the patient is available for the day.

Taking pride in what I do every day is one of the many things makes being a Radiology Technologist is a joy.  I love meeting new people; I love always knowing that what I am doing makes a difference in people’s lives.   Most of the people I meet, my patients, are seeing me because they have some sort of suspected medical problem.  That is one of the true downfalls of this career choice and working in a hospital setting. 

Every day has a different time in which we as students are required to be in class and at clinicals.  This makes each day very challenging, and affects how we feel and how much coffee we need to be awake to do our job! One day we need to be here at 8:15 A.M., the next 1:30 P.M till 10 P.M the next.  This schedule rotates and can be very demanding with long hours, all the while knowing that while my body is already physically tired, the next morning I will have two exams to study.  The mental and physical demands of this job and being a student will always be there, just as they are in the real world working as a Radiology Technologist.

My blogging career is ending soon, and I hope I have given all you readers a little more insight into the field of Radiology.

~