High School Career Courses and Enrollment Adult Career Course and Part Time Classes Business Solutions - Business Services and Corporate Training
Information for High School students about attending Great Plains Technology Center Information for Adults attending Great Plains Technology Center Business Training and Development Solutions

1136 Days

I guess I’ve had a little bit of writers block lately; with college decisions and AP studying running my life lately any extra creative writing has temporarily been suppressed somewhere within my brain.  As I sat down to write this, I primarily looked at a blank screen for a couple of hours. This particular writing assignment followed the procedures of most of my homework assignments throughout the year: initially I would check my Facebook, but only just for a second. This sidetrack was followed by a brief trip to the kitchen to search for a snack even though I wasn’t particularly hungry. And after another “brief” Facebook check, which actually would turn into a consuming endeavor, which allowed me realize that I was being stared at by a blank word document; the spacer blinking at me mockingly as if it was saying “Well, now what genius?” Yet after hours of procrastination, I figured a reflective piece over the year would be a perfect fit for today’s entry. 

Primarily it has been AP testing that has been running my life for the last month. I’m still attempting to recover from the horror that was the AP Calculus test. Images of derivatives and integrals still haunt my mind even hours after the test ended and words no longer are able to form in coherent sentences. Plus a combination of senior duties have made the month of April fly by to May, and signaling the end of school and another chapter in my life. As cliché as it sounds, I have been thinking a lot more about time lately. Especially now that the past four years of my High School education is finally drawing to an end. Funny thing about time, we seem to always be obsessing over it; never getting enough it, it passing much too slowly, or even failing to just stand still. 1136 days. Give or take, including holidays and weekends, there has been 1136 days involved with our high school curriculum. 9088 hours of essays, tests, or some sort of social drama that entertained us within the halls. Each painstaking one of the 9088 hours has been there to prepare us for just one graduation. As the last semester rolled around, I started thinking more about time. For example, the time ratio I spent on Facebook compared to homework; how each one of my statuses begged for the next possible break, the next weekend, or the ending of another school day. Yet it has been these moments and memories that Great Plains has created for me that have gave me the confidence I need to go forth into the college and ultimately the real world.

In the end, life is like writing any type of paper. It starts off blank, waiting, beckoning you to fill it with words. Filling it with your ambitions, the good aspects of life, the bad, your dreams, your memories, your triumphs—such as the creation of the calculus dance and the discovery of cheese fries—, and your mistakes Regardless of what anyone else says, it is your story. And as time so easily moves forward, fearless of the future, we also begin our journey towards the unknown. But it is that sense of unknown that makes it all so exciting. One thing I’d like to leave you here today is the words of John Lennon ““When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” It has a been an amazing year so far, and I hope everyone has a wonderful May and a safe summer! :-)